Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

A New Disk

I am building my system on an old HP Pavilion. I originally purchased a 160 GB drive, loaded Fedora on it, and then started the build. I decided some time later, that I wanted a dedicated drive for my  Linux From Scratch install. So I bought a 2nd, 160 GB drive.

I then went into gparted and laid out the disk as I wanted. I made a 9.5 root filesystem,  a 4+ gig swap partition, a 50 gig /usr partition, and a 35 gig home partition. I made filesystems on all the partitions except for the swap partition.

I then mounted the '/' partition and copied all of my work to it. In other words, the new disk came up as /dev/sdf. The first partition was mounted as:

mount /dev/sdf1 /mnt


I then copied everything from my /home/LFS to the /mnt, and the umounted it:

umount /mnt

Finally I mounted the new filesystem over the topof the old work:

mount /dev/sdf1 /home/LFS

It could have been mounted elsewhere, but I chose that point because it agrees with the LFS account I had set up.








No comments:

Post a Comment