Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Lazy Christmas Day

Since I had a lot of free time on Christmas, I decided to pick up on LFS. Having previously downloaded everything, it makes compiling quite easy. I was able to compile and install:

readline
bash
libtool
gdbm
inetutils
perl
autoconf
automake

Actually most time the time today was spent waiting for the tests to complete. In other words, the configure and makes went rather quickly, but the tests that were run prior to the install, took quite a bit of time. I had to patch two pieces of source code, both readline and bash. The patching takes place as follows. After I chrooted the environment, the old /home/lfs becomes "/". Then I stored all the patches in the patches directory, and all of the tar files in the tar-files directory. To patch readline, I moved bash-4.2.tar.gz, and then unzipped and untarred it:

mv tar-files/bash-4.2.tar.gz /
tar zxvf bash-4.2.tar.gz

cd bash-4.2
mv ../patches/ bash-4.2-fixes-3.patch /
patch -Np1 -i ../bash-4.2-fixes-3.patch

Then after patching, I configured  and compiled:

./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin     --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/bash-4.2 --without-bash-malloc     --with-installed-readline

make

Once you get the knack of building, everything is pretty much straight forward. There is the untarring of the sources, patching if required, configuration, compiling, testing, and finally installing.








No comments:

Post a Comment