Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Slight Diversion

A few weeks ago I purchased (4) 1.5 terabyte drives. The first time I configured them I had a volume of over 5 terabytes. Next I tried raidz, but currently I have it configured under RAIDZ2. Both RAIDZ and RAIDZ2 were built using zfs. ZFS is native to Solaris, but can be installed on Linux.

I had running Fedora 15, and installed it:

yum install zfs-fuse

Although the startup script was installed in /etc/init.d, I had to execute the following to have it started at boot time:

chkconfig zfs-fuse on

To create the volume:

zpool create NAS raidz2 sdb sdc sdd sde

It automatically was mounted and just like in Solaris, makes no entry in /etc/fstab.

Eventually I will pull a drive and see if I can still get to the drive. Here is the content of the volume:

-bash-4.2# df -h /NAS
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
NAS 2.7T 5.0G 2.7T 1% /NAS
-bash-4.2# zpool status
pool: NAS
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
NAS ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdb ONLINE 0 0 0
sdc ONLINE 0 0 0
sdd ONLINE 0 0 0
sde ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors
-bash-4.2#

No comments:

Post a Comment