Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2012

Finally boots

I have spent the last two days trying to get a bootable kernel. Well, it finally boots. I kept ignoring an error that was right in from of me. The error:

Cannot open root device "sda1" of unknown-block(2,0)
....

hda1
hda2
hda3
hda4

I kept trying to get the machine to recognize /dev/sda, when in fact I should have been looking for /dev/hda. I made sure the disk interface was being recognized, the filesystem was in the kernel,, and a number of other things I compiled into the kernel. I spent a lot of time running "make menuconfig" and installing  new kernels. The biggest reason I was trying to get /dev/sda recognized, was when I was working on the drive externally, Fedora was seeing it as /dev/sdb. Finally I changed my grub.cfg to look for /dev/hda and it booted. There are further problems, I have only a command line interface, but now I can move on the Beyond Linux From Scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment