Total Pageviews

Monday, April 26, 2010

Solaris 10

I originally purchased an Acer Aspire M5641 to install Solaris. It wasn't compatible with Solaris and a lot of other things, so I was never able to install Solaris 10 on it. I did inherit an old Dell and was sucessful in installing Solaris on it, but it was too slow. So after a year of false starts I decided to purchase another machine for Solaris. I looked around at Dell again, since I had already had sucess on it. I found a Dell T100, but but the time my tax return came they had stopped shipping it. I found a Dell T105, and from what I found Solaris would work, but there was a network interface problem. The builtin NIC, would allow the machine to boot. I decided I'd go with it, and buy another interface card. So when it arrived, I disabled the builtin Broadcom NIC, and was able to successfully install Solaris. I purchased a D-Link NIC, but evidentally the chipset had changed since it was first listed on the HLC. I looked around and found an old Network Anywhere card, and although it was slower than the D-Link, it imediatly worked. So I am posting this from my new Solaris machine. I do need to get back to LinuxFromScratch, I still have some thing to solve there.

No comments:

Post a Comment